Friday, June 10, 2011

oops

That previous post was by me, Elizabeth, not Jesse. :) I didn't realize I logged in as him.

Nathan, I read through most of those lil articles bout larnin. Some of those concepts attract me to the Waldorf-style, but there are many other studies that would show how structure is very beneficial to children (as well as to all humans). "Structure" can be had in different ways, however. Many Waldorf-y folks talk about "the rhythm of the day," which I like. It recalls God's creation to me, too. I guess the main thing about that "democratic style" school in MA, I can not agree with as the best way of living and learning, which is that it's almost 100% child-directed. Well, the 1 adult per 20 children gets an equal vote. But not about education itself. Children can have largely self-determined lives and organic/natural educations without being totally left to their own motivation. There are many ways to influence children and guide/direct them. But they absolutely need regular guidance from adults, not just when the child asks for it. Adults should try to do a brilliant job in the way they guide others, however. But, unfortunately, in this imperfect world, people's lives are stressed and hurried and burdened and that often limits how well adults can guide children. I'm sure the success of that school and similar schools has a ton to do with the students' home lives. They have parents/guardians/etc. who have the thoughtfulness, first of all, to even think that there could be a better way to live/learn than the norm. Then, those kids would also have the same parents/guardians/others who have the flexibility, financial and/or time means, creativity, and interest in life themselves to inspire their kids. A lot of kids wouldn't know what to do with themselves because both their parents work (if they are blessed enough to have both or any parents). Their parents are stressed during the precious couple of hours they are home with their kid(s), and the kid(s) end up .... oooh ... I really have to go! But, you get the idea of my liking some concepts of that idea, but I have some major problems with it. Anyway, what did you think about it, Nathan?

1 comment:

  1. I dunno what I think about anything, but I wonder what you make of http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/2009/01/ravages-of-tribalism-ii-creating-next.html. More particularly the true story prefaced with the words "With these observations in mind, here is the true story I came across just over two years ago:" and the following analysis.

    ReplyDelete